Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:19:44AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Right.  But I was proposing that the muc.* list be moderated.
> When somebody "posts" to a moderated group, the articled
> doesn't get posted directly to the newsgroup.  The article is
> e-mailed to a "moderator".
>
> My proposal was that the "moderator" be the mailing list.
>
> Thus, the new article is e-mailed to the mailing list (exactly
> as articles are now), which then mirrors it onto the newsgroup
> (exactly as it does now).  There would be no news->mail gateway
> (exactly as there is none now).  There is only a mail->news
> gateway (exactly as there is now).
>
> I don't see how there is a possibility of a loop. If there _is_
> danger of a loop, it must already be there, since I'm not
> proposing that the gateway functionaly be changed in any way.

I'm surprised you don't see any extra danger of loops. The mail->news
gateway must bypass the moderation on the group using an Approved:
header. What happens if that mechanism goes wrong? Instant loop.

> When I suggested making the group moderated and mailing
> "posted" articles to the list, I was told that was a bad idea
> because of the danger of loops.  However, I'm still waiting for
> somebody to explain how such a loop could happen.
>
> Perhaps my idea wouldn't work.  I'd be happy to listen to an
> reasons why it wouldn't, but so far all people seem to do be
> doing is knocking down sraw men.

It's not that it wouldn't work. I'm just attempting to explain why it's
not something that should be done without thought, and why it's not a
"you could just do this". However, I seem to be talking to a brick wall,
so I'll leave the discussion now.