Re: OpenOffice 1.0 ,debs?

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:16:34AM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
> There are a lot more errors than that -- any file being copied from types/* to ~/share/cde yields an error.  There is no /types dir in /usr/lib/openoffice, nor is there a /kde dir.
>
> This is a really boring way to spend a Friday morning.  How much more do I have to look forward to?

Sorry, I don't go through this list every day, so I hope you had a good
Friday :)

Until this desktop environment stuff is fixed well, you can get a
working Openoffice.org install like this:

<add deb line to sources.list>
root# apt-get install openoffice.org

<switch to user you wish to run openoffice as>
user$ rm ~/.sversionrc ; rm -r ~/.openoffice ; openoffice

<ignore errors about .kde2 directory>

Package 1.0.0-2 fixed the Java problems discussed earlier in this thread.

Many of the problems reported about desktop integration errors are due to
people running a user install manually.  The openoffice script (which is the
only provided in /usr/bin by the package) runs the user install
automatically.

We need to fix these errors by hacking the soffice shell script that
actually starts openoffice, but I want to co-ordinate this with upstream to
make sure the Debian packages do not end up being regarded as a fork that
will not be supported.

Please see /usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/TODO.Debian.gz for a list of
currently open issues for the package, together with known workarounds.  I
am the first to admit that these packages are not yet good enough to be
included in the Debian archive.  The majority of the time that we have spent
on this package has been to get it automatically compile and build any .deb
at all.  We have put up the packages for the benefit of users who would like
to install a .deb rather than the OOo installer, but they are not really
much better yet than a standard download and install to /usr/local.  If you
need good quality packages without glitches, please be patient and wait
until we are ready to upload to the Debian archive.

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany