Kernel 2.4.18-686 and PCMCIA woes

Fresh install onto a laptop that's seen kernel-image-2.2.20 and the
corresponding pcmcia-modules-2.2.20 package working just fine with a
3Com 3C589 network card.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686 and
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-686, and the network fails to start with
"unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev_blah" where blah is some large
number.

A quick mooch around with Google seems to indicate that this error is a
result of not having ISA PNP compiled into the kernel. As this is a
relatively low-memory machine (32MB) I want to avoid a kernel compile if
possible as it will take (from bitter experience) the thick end of 3
hours. Lather, rinse and repeat as I forget Option A to get thing B
working.

Is there a workaround for this? Is there a different 2.4 kernel that is
known to work with PCMCIA?

BTW, the reason I'm pursuing 2.4 is because I want to use ALSA to drive
the sound card (cheesy Intel i810 thing), and I don't see a drivers
package for 2.2 kernels.

This computer is currently pointed at Sid, although that doesn't have to
be the case.

Regards

Peter.
--