Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 08:02:01AM -0700, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 May 2002, Keith O'Connell wrote:
>
> > a: What is the realistic lag between messages in the mailing list
> >    and in "linux.debian.user" news group?
>
> It varies by propagation path.  Not long.  Try muc.linux.debian(?), as
> it's the anointed official mirror group.

At my ISP it's never much longer than 5-10 minutes.

> > b: Do all the messages sent to the mailing list get to the newsgroup?
>
> Yes.
>
> > c: Can a person write to the mailing list by posting to the newsgroup?
>
> Not directly, you'd still have to mail the list.

This sounds like the exact same mechanism used by moderated
newsgroups, but postings to muc.l.d.u don't seem to get mailed
to the list.  Why not set up muc.l.d.u as a moderated group
with postings going to the mailing list?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com