Re: router being slow

On Fri, 3 May 2002 19:46:03 +0200
"Rudy Gevaert" <rudy@zeus.rug.ac.be> wrote:

> The problem is that when I am using a pc that is after the router is
> slow.
>
> E.g. sshing to a box outside my network goes fine, but after a
> couple of minutes the connection is gone for a couple of seconds.  And
> after those seconds it goes fine again.
>
> The delay is only noticable using telnet/ssh/ftp.

These tend to be interactive sessions and thus require a fairly low
latency on the connection or there is noticable stutter effect.

> Now the problem could be at the side of my ISP (but that is unlikely),
> so it must be my router.

I would do more testing before ruling out an ISP problem.  Try running a
constant ping session to the same destination in another terminal before,
during, and after your telnet/ssh/ftp session with a few of the hosts
you've noticed the delay with.  Keep an eye on the return times.
Personally, I try to keep the ping times to the hosts I use under 50 ms,
but generally <100 ms should be usable to most people.  Also, when you're
done with a short (< 5 min) connection, look at the packet loss reported
by your ping session.  Ideally, there should be 0% loss.  However. 1-3%
could be acceptable.

Try the above tests both with and without the firewall system in place.
You might want to do them a few times just to rule out any fluke hiccups
in the connection.  If you can consistently get good connections without
the firewall system in place, the problem is most likely with the network
setup on the firewall.  However, if the results are pretty similiar with
and without the firewall system, the problem lies between you and the
remote end.

--
Jamin W. Collins