Re: /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting changed

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:14:08AM +0100, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
| Every so often, presumably after an apt-get upgrade dist-upgrade, my
| /etc/resolv.conf file gets modified, and my DNS stops working. I then
| manually edit the file back to how I want, and say to myself, I Really Must
| Find Out What Causes That - then forget about it.

Do you use dhcp?  dhcp clients tend to rewrite resolv.conf to contain
the data the dhcp server returned.  If you use dhcp-client then it is
easy to edit /etc/dh-client to not overwrite the existing file and
even to append all new data as comments.

| Is there a way I can stop this file being modified automatically?

First the cause must be determined.

-D

--

The righteous hate what is false,
but the wicked bring shame and disgrace.