Re: gdm login problem

* Dale Hair (dale@meridian-electric.com) [020502 17:54]:
> On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 17:01, Dale Hair wrote:
> > I have a system with two users, one can't login with gdm but can from
> > the console.  The other user and root can login ok.  Any ideas?
>
> It seems the problem is the password is a dictionary word.  Changing the
> password allows login.  When I add another user with the same password
> or another password that's in the dictionary I cannot login.  However
> this same user with the same password can login on another computer,
> both running woody with dist-upgrade today.  Why does gdm refuse this
> password when login from console, ftp, and ssh accepts it.

Is there a line containing something about cracklib in /etc/pam.d/gdm
but not in the pam configs for those other services? Still, I'd expect
it to be set up to disallow changing the password *to* a weak one, but
not disallow login with a weak password. Depends on the setup, I
suppose, but it sounds strange to me, still.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml