Re: cleanup of /usr/local

    "Vincent" == Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> writes:

    Vincent> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 15:10:59 -0400, Nick Guerrera
    Vincent> wrote:
    >> I would like to clean (i.e. "rm -fr") my /usr/local
    >> directory. However, several packages (emacs, python, tex, etc.)
    >> create useful empty directories in /usr/local.

    Vincent> I thought that packages shouldn't use /usr/local.

Yes and No. The policy manual states:

"As mandated by the FHS, packages must not place any files in
/usr/local, either by putting them in the file system archive to be
unpacked by dpkg or by manipulating them in their maintainer scripts.

"However, the package may create empty directories below /usr/local so
that the system administrator knows where to place site-specific
files. These directories should be removed on package removal if they
are empty.

"Note, that this applies only to directories below /usr/local, not in
/usr/local. Packages must not create sub-directories in the directory
/usr/local itself, except those listed in FHS, section 4.5. However,
you may create directories below them as you wish. You must not remove
any of the directories listed in 4.5, even if you created them."

Cheers!
Shyamal