Re: preferences cahnges, once woddu becomes stable?

* Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shalehperry@attbi.com) [020502 08:24]:

> > so I can yuse these  "potato" "woody" "sid" in /etc/apt/preferences
> >
> > makes more sense
> >
> >        a= Archive
> >               This is the common name we give our archives,  such
> >               as stable or unstable. The special name now is used
> >               to designate the set of packages that are currently
> >               installed.
> >
> > I had an impression I can only use stable or unstable...
>
> if your apt line says 'woody' you can use woody, if it says testing you use
> testing, etc.

Are you sure about this? I've been running with my sources.list
specifying release names but /etc/apt/preferences using 'states' (i.e.
stable, testing, unstable). When I tried changing the latter to potato,
woody, testing, and did apt-get -s dist-upgrade, I saw that it wanted to
upgrade everything to the latest version. That means the pins didn't
match, so it fell back to using version numbers to pick the preferred
packages.

In all my experience, the pins only work correctly if using "stable",
"testing", "unstable": "potato", "woody", "sid", (and probably "sarge")
just don't work.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml