2 keyboards. Want 2 different keymaps

Hi all,

I have an interesting problem that I'm looking for suggestions for.

I have 2 keyboards.  One build into my laptop (Apple Powerbook), and a
USB one that I connect to the laptop so that I don't keep hitting the
stupid trackpad and moving my mouse around.  The Powerbook is a US/CDN
version, so the keyboard is standard US.  However, the USB keyboard is
Japanese, since I bought it in Japan.

What I want is to have the USB work like it's printed on the keys, and
built in one to also work like it's printed on the keys.  At the
moment, I have US keymaps installed for both console and X.  So the
built-in keyboard is fine, and the USB one is okay, since I touch type
anyways.

However, the USB keyboard is unable to out put a ~.  Well, I haven't
found the correct key combination, and I've tried most of the obvious
ones.  There is a ~ printed on one of the keys, but at the moment,
it's mapped to =/+.

So what I want is to have 2 keymaps mapped to the different
keyboards.  If possible.

If not, the other option I was thinking of is for the keymaps to
change dynamically depending on whether the USB one is plugged in.  I
tend to use the USB one at home, but I obviously don't want to lug an
extra keyboard around with me when I travel.

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Marshal