RE: SIOCADDRT : No such device

Hi,

>>What an ifconfig give you ?

 ifconfig eth0
 eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
>>Did you compile it in the kernel ?
 I did it, and boot with the new kernel.
 I have both 2.2.19 installed from CD and also 2.4.18 (source from
 kernel.org).
 When I do uname -a,  I can see the kernel.

>>Did you configure your /etc/network/interfaces file ?

When I boot it with 2.2.19, it is on network, when I boot it
2.4.18, it is not on network. Probably some drivers is missing.

Also, when I do make config, I select all default.
How do I know, what card, I have.

Procedure for upgrade , that was followed!! But cannot telnet to it, probably network card not recognized.
1) unzip linunx-2.4.18.tar.gz
2) cd linux
3) make mrproper
4) make config
Selected default
5) make dep clean bzImage
6) make modules modules_install
7) cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18
8) cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.18
9) setup /etc/lilo.conf for new entry in bootlist ,
10) /sbin/lilo
11) reboot

How do I know, what network card I have and why doesn't 2.4.18
kernel source pick it up automatically or is it the driver is
not there and what driver should I installed

Thanks and Regards
Deepak

Edi.Stojicevic@socgen.com wrote

>Thanks ,
>Could someone help in how to add network drivers for debian.
>The network card seems to be  RTL8129.
>
>Thanks and Regards
>Deepak

Hi,

What an ifconfig give you ?
Did you compile it in the kernel ?
Did you configure your /etc/network/interfaces file ?

Give us more informations...

+----------------------------+
| Why Reboot ?!              |
| Use Debian GNU/Linux!      |
| http:\\www.debianworld.org |

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.

				********

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.