Re: Konqueror takes forever to load

On Wed May 01, 2002 at 09:00:34PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> dman wrote:
> > On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 07:38:40PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> > | I normally use Mozilla for the web and a shell for local file browsing
> > | on a Gnome desktop(up to date testing system), but occasionally I want
> > | to use Konqueror for one reason or another.  The problem is that it
> > | takes 8 or 9 *minutes* to load.  If I quit and immediately try to reopen
> > | Konqueror than it opens in a couple of seconds.
> >
> > How much memory do you have and how much is in use?  It is likely that
> > your system is thrashing about as it tries to load konqueror the first
> > time, then it is in cache and has already bumped other stuff out of
> > memory which is why it loads fast the second time.  I find that kword
> > isn't too fast (but not that bad) to load on my not-so-bad system (it
> > also has to load dcop and other services).
> >
> > -D
> >

> I have 384MB of memory with 240MB free(second line of free output).  I
> don't think this is the problem. :)  Other system specs include 1.2GHz
> Athlon.

We have pretty similar hardware; mine is also a 1.2 gig Athlon, with 384
megs RAM. I don't have KDE2, but I recently installed KDE3 from source.

Today, there haven't been any KDE apps run all day, so I launched
konqueror and timed it. It was fully loaded in 37 seconds, and in the
process of starting it launched about 7 other processes with names like
kdeinit: Running..., kdeinit: dcopserver, kdeinit:klauncher, kdeinit:
kio_file, and kdeinit: kio_thumbnail...

All those background processes will improve the subsequent loading of
other KDE programs, but 8 minutes for the first one is way outta line.
Something's wrong. Start it from a shell & see if you can weed out any
clues from the dozens of lines it spits out.
--
-CraigW