Konqueror takes forever to load

I normally use Mozilla for the web and a shell for local file browsing on a Gnome desktop(up to date testing system), but occasionally I want to use Konqueror for one reason or another. The problem is that it takes 8 or 9 *minutes* to load. If I quit and immediately try to reopen Konqueror than it opens in a couple of seconds. This started happening a month or two ago, but since I use it so infrequently I can't pinpoint what update actually precipitated the problem. I just did an 'apt-get remove --purge kdelibs3' followed by apt-get install konqueror and the problem persists. Is anyone else experiencing this, or how do I fix the problem?

dpkg -l | grep -i kde gives me:

ii  kdebase-doc    2.2.2-14       Documentation for Applications in kdebase
ii  kdebase-libs   2.2.2-14       KDE libraries and modules for kdebase
ii  kdelibs3       2.2.2-13       KDE core libraries (runtime files)
ii  kdelibs3-bin   2.2.2-13       KDE core binaries (binary files)
ii konqueror 2.2.2-14 KDE's advanced File Manager, Web Browser and
ii  libkonq3       2.2.2-14       Core libraries for KDE's file manager