KDE, Permissions

Hi -- Please cc: me at dscpubl@siltec.lt

I have KDE, and whenever it starts up, it says it cannot initialize the
sound, because /dev/dsp returns "permission denied".  (I am assuming
that dev/dsp refers to the DSP on the sound card.)

Likewise, I cannot run Floppy services unless I log in as root.

Then, too, when I try to run kppp, it fails to recognize the modem, even
when I try to access the modem through the stty ports.

I'd really rather just give permission for access to these things, if
that is possible.  How would I modify the permissions for these things,
in general?  We have 3 users, plus root, 1 computer system.  I therefore
could either modify it for each, or modify it for all, but I'd like to
know how to do this.

Also, is there anything particularly risky about doing that?

  - Michael