Re: Wal-Mart PCs revisited

I've received a dozen or so off list replies to my original posting of
"Linux on WalMart's Systemless Computers"
back on May 12 from some daring souls who took a chance on these
computers.  In most cases, their experiences
running Linux are similar to the one described in
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/29/0218241.shtml?tid=7.
(sent by Shawn as an attachment) which anyone who is interested in these
computers should read.i

Most of the difficulties were with the winmodem.  Some could not get the
video or the sound to work. properly
while others did.. Some didn't even try to get the modem to work because
they were on cable where the computer
worked fine.  In general, they seemed to be surprised and pleased with
the computer except for the modem.  Many
were concerned that the hard drive wasn't one of the better known brands
and it was slow.

I've sent inquiries to Microtel about running Linux on these computers
but as yet haven't received a what
I consider a definitive answer, in fact, lately, no answer at all.
Perhaps, if more inquiries were sent to them
asking about running Linux, they might post something about it on their
web page.

alex.