apt-get remove question

Hi everyone,
  This is something I've never understood, and it's really bugging me
right now.  Why is it that when I remove software, apt sometimes forces
me to install other software?  Example:

green:~# dpkg -l "libgtkhtml*"
ii  libgtkhtml13   0.10.1-1       HTML rendering/editing library - runtime fil
ii  libgtkhtml14   0.11.1-4       HTML rendering/editing library - runtime fil
ii  libgtkhtml20   1.0.2-1        HTML rendering/editing library - runtime fil

green:~# dpkg -l libgal*
ii  libgal19       0.19-1         G App Libs (run time library)
ii  libgal8        0.9.1-1        G App Libs (run time library)
ii  libgal9        0.10-1         G App Libs (run time library)

Ok, I've got several versions of both of these packages installed,
right?  I'm trying to chase down a rendering problem with gnucash, and
I've been told that multiple versions of these might be causing a
problem.  I want to remove the old ones.

green:~# apt-get remove libgal{8,9} libgtkhtml{13,14}
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package libgal7 is not installed, so not removed
The following extra packages will be installed:                  <-----
  bonobo gnome-libs-data gnumeric gtkhtml libbonobo2 libole2-0   <-----
libungif4g
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgal8 libgal9 libgtkhtml13 libgtkhtml14
7 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 303  not
upgraded.
Need to get 4412kB of archives. After unpacking 11.3kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

WTF?  Why does in want to INSTALL new packages, just because I'm
removing old ones?  I can understand wanting to remove extra packages
(if I'm removing something one of them depends on), but installing?

Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed anymore (too high traffic).

TIA,
-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne     benAThartshorneDOTnet     http://ben.hartshorne.net
PGP keyserver:pgp.dtype.org          Please encrypt all communications