Re: Re: Hard Discs and Virtual Memory ...

On Wed, 1 May 2002 06:48:47 +0800 csj <csj@mindgate.net> wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
"Paul 'Baloo' Johnson" <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Please turn your word wrap on.
>
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Soul Computer wrote:
>
> > I remember that Linux can use a partition for virtual memory.  Well
> > ... I want to upgrade my computer by adding an 80GB HDD and making it
> > the boot disc.  The second (original HDD will then be delegated to
> > some other use.  It is 1.2GB.  I was wondering if Linux could co-opt
> > this second HDD en lieu of the Virtual Memory Partition, and, if so,
> > how would I tell it to do so?
>
> Partition the 1.2 as a Linux swap partition, edit /etc/fstab to point to
> there for a swap.

Shouldn't he be using the bigger disk for swap? A 1.2 GB drive is likely
to be slower (older=slower).

It's a P100.  How fast can I expect it to be?
->Scwawcaac<-

> Anybody know an easy way to losslessly repartition ext3 to fill the void
> after removing an old swap partition?

I don't know if it's easy (or safe), but shouldn't GNU parted do the trick?