Re: 2.4.17 kernel for debian

On Wed, 1 May 2002 00:15, dkotian3@vsnl.net wrote:

> I have 2.2r5 release CD, which has 2.2.19 kernel, can
> I upgrade it 2.4.17 kernel. Are there patches,etc ?

yes you can upgrade and there are patches.

> Can someone please tell the site and the procedure for
> kernel upgrades.

I suggest that you go to http://www.au.debian.org/doc/ and read the
installation manual at http://www.au.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install
which will give you a good introduction to what debian is and how to install
it.

Particular information about apt and debians package management system can be
found at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/ch-system.en.html#s-uptodate
and http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

> 3. Where can one find the CD image of debian LINUX with kernel 2.4.17
> and above ?
> Any help on this would be helpful!!

You can obtain snapshots of testing and unstable from various places
apparently. If you want to do it that way I suggest searching on google.
Personally I just install the stable distribution, which is what you have and
upgrade over the internet. You can simply install the kernel image that you
want from the debian servers or even install the source and compile the
kernel yourself!

Have fun

John Habermann