Mondo, needs ramdisk support

I have kernel 2.4.16 and have downloaded mondo 1.41.1-1.  When I type:
 mondoarchive -Ow 16
I get the following error message:

Mondo Archive v1.41 --- http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
Found CDRW device - 0,0,0
Switches:-
-O
-d 0,0,0
-w 16
See /var/log/mondo-archive.log for details of backup run.
Checking sanity of your Linux distribution
Checking sanity of your Linux distribution
------------------- cat /proc/devices | grep ramdisk -------------------
...ran with errors.
Please recompile your kernel to include ramdisk support.
Failed.

I am assuming I need to put randisk support into my kernel.  Can this be
done with a module, or do I need to recompile the kernel?  Thanks for
any suggestions on how to get mondo to work.

Ric