Re: EXT3 questions

Hi,

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:54:15AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Weird. Is it really an up-to-date box? I was told, newer e2progs do even
> hide the journal afterwards if they get a chance, ie. running e2fsck on
> an umounted partition.

Yes, it's up-to-date. Here's Stephen's explanation:

e2fsprogs can move the journal out of the way into a private, hidden
inode, but it won't do that if the filesystem is already mounted.
When e2fsck is initially run during boot, only root is mounted, so
only root's .journal stays around.

So one question has been answered.

> > But my main problem remains why I cannot boot an ext3 root partition
> > with our standard kernel. Is anyone using such a setup?
>
> I have been using some months ago. Are you using initrd-based kernels?

Yes. Kernel-image-2.4.1*.deb

> Which initrd-tools version? Which filesystem type did you specify in

Up-to-date woody. I just installed a kernel-image (2.4.16) and the initrd tools
it depends on on my home machine, but couldn't really test since I got
lost interrupts on hda and a corrupt filesystem when using that kernel.
But it did mount my root fs as ext2.

> fstab?

/dev/hda5       /             ext3   defaults,errors=remount-ro   0 1

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De