Re: WodPerfect Office 2000 on Debian

Phillip Deackes wrote:
I have a copy of Corel's WP Office 2000 which I have never managed to get
working on my Debian unstable box. Using some advice I found on the 'net I
managed to at least eliminate the fontastic font server errors, but now
when I enter 'wordperfect' it tells me it is 'Building font metrics. This
may take some time...'. That message stays on screen for ever. I left it
all night and it was still there in the morning.

Any ideas? I know Corel WordPerfect 2000 for Linux is not very good, I
know StarOffice, Applix, KOffice et al are better, but I would just like
to try it.

Many thanks.

At http://members.chello.at/hrdisk/corelwine.html I put up a *.deb package that makes WPO2k4L a bit more stable and usable.

For production work my solution is WPO for Windows on a virtual VMware NT box, host-networking only. It runs in its own 1.1G partition and is fast enough for most uses on a K6-450 machine but became usable only after sticking more RAM into the slots. With 380 MB now no more swapping takes place. The document files reside in a FAT32 partition from my Win98-Debian dual boot setup. I am becoming wary of W98 crashes (1 in 2 Windows sessions) and too lazy to reboot, so I am thinking of giving up my C:\ drive and reformat it as ext3. Sometimes German voice recognition or decent OCR is important enough though to resort to Windows...