Re: Refresh dselect db?

* Troy Telford (troyt@myrealbox.com) [020228 18:06]:
> I hope this will be simple...

I think you'll be pleased =)

> I recently re-installed Debian.  After revising my apt.sources list, as
> well as a good 'ol dist-upgrade to bring my system up to Debian
> 3.0/unstable, I discovered an interesting problem:
>
> For some reason, while apt-get has no problem with the change, 'dselect'
> still thinks it's running Potato.  It shows the current versions of the
> software I have installed, however it still diplays/uses the
> package-list from Potato.

Choose "update" from dselect's menu, or simply run "dselect update" from
the command line.

> So, how do I re-initialize dselect's package database so it shows the
> 'unstable' branch packages, rather than the 'potato' branch ones.
>
> (I have already updated the apt sources list, as well as 'apt-get
> dist-upgrade', so my distribution is the unstable one, and everything
> but dselect seems to be fine.)

This isn't really so. dselect uses dpkg's available database, do if it
looks like dselect is confused, you may also get confusing results from
dpkg. Your best bet to avoid such confusing situations is to replace
'apt-get update' with 'dselect update' in all of your incantations.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/