lprng: pages/min varies with # items queued?

We're seeing something that's baffling me.  We queue up a hundred
pages to our locally-attached HP postscript printer, and when the
first pages begin printing they print as fast as you'd expect from the
printer (12ppm or somesuch), but as the queue grows the pages come out
slower and slower (slower than 1ppm at the worst), and then when the
queue is shorter again at the end it speeds up again.

The pages are essentially the same; it's not a function of the content
of the pages.

The behavior is the same whether we connect the printer through the
parallel or serial port, so it's not a cable/interface issue.

It's a Woody system.  It has started doing this in the past month or
so; the same hardware/software printed all pages quickly before that,
for years.

Many thanks for any ideas; it's driving us insane.

--Pete