RE: Enough time wasted, moving on

I feel bad that you've had such a hard time with Woody.  I tried it too
about 8 months ago with the similar results.   X didn't work (that was ok,
since it was a server not a gui desktop), php4 didn't work, php3 wasn't
available, etc...  I got everything working, did an apt-get update, upgraded
the newer packages (10-15 packages per day were updated then) and 10% of my
operations broke again.

I've scores of Debian boxes that are used for revenue generating ventures.
Downtime is not an option for me nor for who I answer to.  I thought it was
basically understood in the IT world (whatever os or software you use) that
you would never *ever* use something called "testing" for production use.
Even though I have heard 1000's of Debian woody users say its great and
stable, 1000s is a small part of the Debian community, including coders,
packagers & users.

I realize that I myself am just a "user".   I have felt like I am a greedy
person for that, since I have never contributed just installed and "used".
However,  if there is a package that I like on stable and I would like to
see it on Woody, then I would start using Woody and dealing with the
'tinkering'.  If it is that important to me, then I will have to use testing
and start packaging myself. This social agreement institutes barting the OS
for coding/packaging and I must say it (Debian) works pretty good.  I am
getting proficient with dpkg, but I have not picked out a package that I
care enough about yet to jump to testing.

Being just a "user" </shame>, I hear that the Woody freeze is happening.  I
think that this means no more packages are going to be added and also by
certain timelines packages that are already in there will be booted off the
release if not relatively bug-free and/or not following Debian policy.

Jason Harris