using Woody vs testing

I'm wondering about the difference between using "woody" vs "testing"
in apt-sources.  I currently have "testing" in my systems, but perhaps
"woody" might be preferable.  Assuming woody (as current testing) does
what I need, it ought to continue being sufficient once it becomes
stable.  What happens to testing when woody becomes stable? Does sid
(suddenly?) become testing?   I'm sure the answers to these questions
are in the documentation, so any pointers (RTFM) will be appreciated.

Ken

--
Ken Irving <jkirving@mosquitonet.com>