Re: Ethernet Card question

<quote who="Dave Scott">
> I just installed debian potato with kernel 2.2.18pre21
>
> I'm trying to get a pair of SMC 1244TX (rtl8139) Ethernet adapters
> working, but not having much luck.
>
> I ran insmod rtl8139 which installed but says (unused), so I
> figured I need to set parameters for the cards.

i'm not sure if i can help ..but is your card
PCI or ISA ? I have used several(5-6) different RT8139
based cards in linux 2.2 and all have worked perfectly
by just 'modprobe rt8139' (or compile the module directly
into kernel). I have never had to specify I/O address
or IRQ for any PCI devices.

I have also not heard of any ISA-based RT8139 cards..
course that doesn't mean they don't exist.

i do remember a long time ago, SMC had a RT8139-based
PCI card which required an updated driver, but
this was a LONG time ago (at least 2 and a half years)
so i believe the driver is already integrated into
the recent kernels.  just incase though, if your
sure thats a RT8139 card you may want to try to
grab the updated RT8139 driver from www.scyld.com

http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

I had that particular SMC RT8139 card and with
the updated driver(at the time) worked fine.
since it was 2 and a half years ago i don't
remember what model it was.

so m