Re: 233 MHz CPU system - Debian and SO 5.2 question

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:51:57 -0500 dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 06:04:19PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
[really big snip]
> | Remember, The Average User doesn't care about The Unix Way, but
> | just wants a system that doesn't crash, get infected with virii,
> | and make him/her learn a lot of "hard" stuff.  In this case, all
> | the man wants is a pre-written system that lets him combine his
> | form letter with his (probably flat-file) mailing list.
>
> So go ahead and build a system for Average Users to use.  You can make
> millions ... ;-).  Then again, maybe not since no one has found it
> necessary so far (or has found it so trivial that they didn't feel the
> need to publish it).  As I said, I wasn't trying to convince anyone
> that such a tool is useless, but rather that it can fairly easily be
> built now using existing tools.

I agree totally that mail merge can easily be written in modern
scripting languages.  But... you have to know the scripting
language 1st.

Since AbiWord documents are text xml (as opposed to SO/OO60's
binary-inside-of-xml), I bet that writing a mail merge add-on
to AbiWord would be pretty simple...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |