Re: Can't access www

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:25:31 +0000 (GMT)
Martin Price <Martin.Price@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> It's the stock 2.2.19pre17 kernel.  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn doesn't
> exist, but I wonder if it could be any of the other settings.  I have to
> admit I'm completely out of my depth once I get to messing around in
> there.  Don't even know what ECN is (but I'll go find out).

ECN is a 2.4 kernel option, so you neednt worry about that.

does it make any difference if you use an ip address instead of a hostname ?
ie http://216.239.37.101/ instead of http://www.google.com/

If it was a transparent proxy problem I'd expect telnet to have trouble too.
I'm having trouble with mine at the moment so I've put a manual proxy in.

try adding inktomi1-bir.server.ntl.com port 8080 to your browsers proxy
settings just to make sure. That might only work for suffering NTL subscribers
like myself though. I'd offer a link to other proxies but that wouldn't help
much :)

try dcpdumping the telnet session too, to see what that does differently.

does wget work ? thats a bit more fancy than telnet but not as fancy as lynx.
I cant imagine at what level this is going wrong.

If you solve it, make sure you let us know how, I dont want this problem
keeping me up at night :)

Alan.