2.2r5 Install Endless Loop

Not new to Linux (but no expert either)
but new to Debian and am having big
problems with the install of 2.2r5 using
CDs.  Everything is fine if I don't install
Gnome/X, but if I select the Gnome and X
selections in the task list the install
ends up in an endless loop of '111' errors
that is impossible to break out of.

The install program correctly detects
the S3 Virge card in my system.  I
enter the correct specs for my monitor
(a Viewsonic 17") mouse, etc., I confirm
the prompt for the XF86Config file
location/name, and I am prompted for
the CDs as the files are copied.

However, I get a ton of dependency and
dpkg --configure errors for all of the
Gnome**** and lib**** packages.  I get
a message saying the config file wasn't
created and I guess the S3 server never
gets installed because I get into a loop
of '111' errors where it tries to connect,
but then goes right back to the "press any
key to continue" prompt.  There's no way
out of this loop.

I'ved tried this install about 20 times,
trying the very lowest video settings, etc.
but nothing works.  Always the same errors.
Always the same loop.  I tried just selecting
the C Dev, Gnome, and X selection in the
task list to simplify things but this didn't
help either.

I was happy when I heard the Debian installation
has gotten a lot friendlier but you couldn't
prove it by me.  Anyone know what I'm doing
wrong ?  I'm wearing out my CDs trying to get
a simple install done (but am getting pretty
fast at it).  A search of the list archive
didn't turn up anything relevant.
Any help would be appreciated.