Re: Script that when when you login

On 25 Feb 2002 23:26:48 +0000
Patrick Kirk <patrick@kirks.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have added a command to run a xterm to my .xsession just in case I
> hose my settings to the point where that xterm will be all that stands
> between me and disaster.

what about virtual consoles ? ctrl+alt+Fsomething

> I have anumber of less urgent requirements that I would like to happen
> in the background whenever I boot.  For example, galeon -s creates a
> galeon server enabling galeon to load faster.  Having evolution running
> in the background would be useful.  I have Windows shares that I would
> like to mount through this script.

Assuming you are running a gnome desktop, you can use the gnome-session manager
to load such things for you. Look at the gnome-control-center under "Session
Properties and Startup Programs"

If you are running gnome, then thats the best place to put stuff that should start
when you log in to your gnome session. Dont worry so much about breaking X, thats
what this list is for. As long as you can use email from a console that is..

You'll want to turn off that "Automatically Save Changes To Session" rubbish,
I dont know anyone that likes that, and its the default too !

> If I create a little script that does all these things, where should I
> put it?  .bashrc? .xsession?

neither probably, but if you must then .xsession

Does that help ?

Alan.