Re: searching for an ICQ application

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 11:23, nate wrote:

> > doens't need gnome (I'm using kde at the moment)? The problem with
> > all new licq versions I've tried etc. is that I cannot send any
> > messages (connnection is
> > rejected by peer or the msgs simply don't arrive); is this normal
> > or perhaps related to a bad configuration of my networking?
>
> if you are connecting behind NAT, then most likely most
> of your direct sends will fail(as will file transfers).
> i use licq (i have it up 24/7 but maybe send 1 message
> per week), and i tell it to 'send through server'. and
> it works everytime.

I never could quite get licq to work on my system, but I've been using
Gaim for a while now and loving it. I don't know how recently licq has
been updated, but ICQ is no longer using their old protocol, which could
have something to do with your connection issues. They are now using
Oscar, the same protocol used by AIM. Just get Gaim and make a new
connection using the Oscar protocol, using your ICQ # as your username.

Be warned though, that Gaim only really does messages. Don't be counting
on file transfers or any other fancy ICQ stuff. But messaging works
great. I'm behind a NAT box here, and I haven't had a single problem
yet.

-Alex