Re: Motherboard/Mainboard+Athlon chip

hi ya

> > I'm in the market for a new computer and plan to run potato. The last
> > time I bought a box for linux, I bought a cheap system and found the
> > on-board sound & video chipsets weren't supported.

usually newer boards are the ones not supported...
	unless were talking 3-5 yrs ago when the number of
	x11 drivers and nic drivers are far less

> Currently running woody (2.4.17) on
> - an ASUS A7V266 (Via chipset w/ Promise 20265 ATA/100 IDE) running
>   1GHz Athlon-C
> - an ECS K7S5A (SiS 735) running Athlon XP 1600+

soyo's Dragon series are good ... you can overclock them puppies
1Mhz at a time... 1500+ overclocked to 1700+

they now starting to have onboard nic and onboard svga for amd cpus !!!

> They are definitely hot, but since you are getting a case from
> Coolermaster, you know the importance of temerature.

just shipped a P3-1.0Ghz machine with no fan on the cpu... just its
original heatsink ... and 40mm fans on the side... nice and cool
compared to when you have fans fighting for air in them 1Us...

c ya
alvin