Annoying mail applet problem

I've got a really odd and really annoying problem with Gnome. More
specifically, the mail check applet in Gnome. For some reason, after
approx. 24 hours, it just stops working. It "works" fine, but it won't
check my mail. I'm accessing my mail via IMAP from a Debian machine on the
LAN. I can still read mail fine using Evolution, I can telnet into the
mail server and use pine, I can do just about anything I want, except have
the mail check applet tell me if I have new mail. I've tried changing it
to check the local mailbox and then back to checking the IMAP with no
luck, I've tried unloading and reloading the applet with no luck, I've
even tried logging out of and back into my Gnome session, and still no
luck. The only thing that works is a reboot. Needless to say, this is a
VERY annoying problem as, short of this, I _COULD_ have my system up for
months at a time. Any ideas?

-Alex