Re: Less and .gz files

On 19 Feb 2002, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> On my earlier SuSE system "less" was able to read gzipped text files. Can i
> get less to do it also on Debian?
>
> cheers,
> Raffaele
> --
> Raffaele Sandrini <rasa@gmx.ch>
> For encrypted Mail get my Public Key from "search.keyserver.net"
> ID: 0xEC4950E9

You need to enable lessopen. See the man pages for less and lesspipe. I
have the following environmental setting:

LESSOPEN="|lesspipe %s"

This avoids the need to decompress the entire file before starting to
read it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books on the Assassins and on homeopathy, skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]