Re: Backup of debian

>> idea for a backup with such requirements (fast, small, home-env)?
>
>General discussion (I'd prefer tape to CD-R), including directory
>suggestions are at:
>
>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html
>
>Peace.

Oooh I've got a story here,

One upon a time we needed to restore a backup from tape after a horrible
system failure.

the failure had taken the tape drive with it.

So we put together a new system, plugged in a new tape drive, inserted our
last backup and got...

nothing at all...

the drives (we were told by the data recovery guys) gradually degrade with
the heads physically dropping and writing lower and lower on the medium

we were doing parity checking of the backups, but the drive was still able
to read it's own work

no other drive could read the backup.

even expensive professional data recovery got us bugger all.

And thats why I backup to DVD-RAM now.