erc

I've got a question. I was looking for a decent irc client for the
console and I have found 2 or 3 that I like. I ran across a thing
called erc which is supposed to be an erc client for emacs. Never got
ti to work though so I have no idea how good it is but it looked like
it might be kind of neat. when I typed M-x erc-mode to start it I got
the error beep and a message in the minibuffer telling me "wrong
argument type: commandp, erc-mode". Anybody else got this? Is this a
bug or what? Just curious. Not that it really matters if it works as
there is no shortage of irc clients I was just playing aroudn and ran
into this and seeing as there is almost no documentation that I could
find for the program	I figured I woudl ask if anyone has fiddled
with this thing at all. I know that it's not a dependency issue as I
did an apt-get install erc and so I would assume that apt is its usual
smart self and fixed that up good.