From: Eric G. Miller [mailto:egm2@jps.net]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 10:21 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: X Help

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 04:39:44PM -0500, Mike wrote:
> I'm part way there already.  I tried the command "dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86" from another message that just came in.  I changed a
> setting for framebuffer ( or something like that) to off.  Now I get a
> desktop, but there are two issues:
>
> 1)  The mouse is VERRY jumpy, to the point of being impossible to use.

Probably wrong mouse protocol.  People also report problems with
gpm (console mouse driver), but I've never had that problem. Have seen
the jumpy mouse when the wrong (but almost compatible) protocol was
used.

> 2)  I get a warning saying that I don't have a gnome compliant window
> manager.

GNOME is like that.  I've had good luck with IceWM and sawfish (though
the latter is too slow for my old hardware).  GNOME seems to complain
about other window managers, even if they purport to be "GNOME"
compliant.  Currently I just use XFCE, it does session management, is
light weight, has a panel thingy, and all those GNOME apps work just
fine.  It's only the session manager that really cares about the
"GNOME compliant" WM.

> Are these related?  How do I get a gnome compliant window manager?  I
> assume it's apt-get install something.

No, they aren't related.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>