Re: New to Debian and Linux

On Friday 15 February 2002 10:43 am, Jason Majors wrote:
> > I am very new to Linux and Debian.   What would be the first move in
> > trying to learn Debian?
> > I recently brought the "Learning The Bash Shell"?
>
> Read the docs at debian.org, install a system (the people on this list can
> help), and use it. I learned by doing and making mistakes.
> If you want to buy a book about Debian, there's one by O'Reilly and even a
> Debian for Dummies. But the online docs are more up to date and very
> thorough.
> I'd suggest learning Perl if you want to be able to do advanced user and
> sys admin tasks.
> And don't get upset if you hose your system and have to re-install
> sometimes. It happens.
> And the most important bit of advice...*Never* run as root unless you're
> doing sys admin tasks that require root permission.

the last two points here could be combined. reckon with the fact that you're
going to hose the system at least twice because you were running as root when
you didn't need to, but the positive side is that by the time you get to that
third or fourth install, you're going to be so much wiser than you were on
the one before. and i would add to the requirements above that you should
read this list as often as you can. do you have a linux system of some kind?
if you do, dump whatever is on it and install debian as soon as possible.
it's a learning by doing kind of thing. this list is proof of the world of
difference between theory and practice. oh yeah, and welcome to the real
world.