nfs is slow

I am running a box with debian testing and one with woody. The testing
acts as a nfs server and unstable as client. They are connected via a
10MB hub - no real traffic, it's my home network. When I try to copy a
file from a local dir to a nfs dir on the unstable box it is reaaaaly
slow. midnight commander tells me it is copying with 23KB/s (copying a
file of 1300MB takes forever). That cannot be right?

I tried both nfs-kernel-server and nfs-user-server. The server box is a
p2-300 with around 200MB ram and the client is a athlon 1400Mhz with
512MB ram.

Any hints?

Andreas