PCMCIA

Twice now, I have experimented with upgrading from potato to woody.  Each
time, however, I've experienced the exact same problem, which I can't seem
to resolve.

During the update you get a question basically like this:

New modules are being installed for PCMCIA.  It is preferable that you shut
down your NIC and restart after the new modules have been installed.  This
is not required but if you don't shut your NIC down, then the kernel might
freeze.  So, what you do want to do?

This time I chose to shut it down.  I don't remember what I chose the other
time.  Regardless, afterwards it never starts back up.

Checking out /etc/init.d/pcmcia status I get the following result:
cardmgr is stopped

So how do I get it back up and running?
Curtis