Re: CUPS

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 09:15:36AM -0800, Cam Ellison wrote:
| * DvB (dvanbalen@jam.rr.com) wrote:
| > "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net> writes:
| >
| > >   I'm trying to do a first time cups install for my HP parallel printer.
| > > The "cupsomatic-ppd" package in sid claims to have the cupsomatic script
| > > to configure it but I'm not finding it.
| > >
| > >   Is there a tool to easily configure cups for one of these?
| > >

| > http://localhost:631 or man lpadmin.
| >
| > See also http://www.linuxprinting.org
|
| In my case, it doesn't.  I get "Unable to connect to server:
| Connection refused" messages to lpinfo, the web access tool, etc.
| And yes, I'm su'd to root.  I can run Opera as root.  No go with
| lynx, either.

HTTP doesn't include your UID ;-).  It doesn't matter if you run
opera/lynx/galeon as root, you must use HTTP AUTH (which is why links
doesn't work) to convince the deamon that you have authority to modify
the setup.

| What am I doing wrong, or not doing, please?

I would double check the Location directives in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
and ensure that localhost has permission to connect to the locations
you are trying to connect to.  Also check for any firewall
interference.  ("Connection Refused" messages usually means the other
side exists and is listening, but told the client that it wasn't
interested and to go away)

-D

--

The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.