Re: to woody from potato, some advices...

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 07:10:30AM -0500, Bob Thibodeau wrote:
> In my experience, apt-get knows to set up the next versions packaging
> tools first, even in a full dist-upgrade. Has someone actually gotten
> burnt by this (lately)?

Remember WOODY is still in testing phase.  So safety precaution such as
Colin propose and I do is a good idea.

Some packages has not made it to testing and sitting in unstable.  If
you blindly do dist-upgrade to testing on a machine with many packages,
you my experience problems.  With old version of APT, your options to
solve issues are limited.  So upgrading dpkg and apt is a good thing
to do as the first measure.  Last time I did this, perl and libc also
upgraded.  This action does not upgrade X sub system so possible
problems are limited.

Once WOODY become released, I agree dist-upgrade should work flawlessly.
But why you want to make possible issues larger?  Once you upgrade APT,
you can use /etc/apt/preferences which allow mixing unstable and testing
in a controlled fashion.

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +