Re: can't connect to samba shares from 'doze

Thanks again for all your help, but this problem was resolved by a
chance meeting with one of the networking guys from upstairs.  In short,
all routers within our organisation are configured to drop WINS
packets.  This of course means that, even if I try to become a domain
master, my samba server and clients will have difficulty connecting.
This is not a problem for most users as we use Novell for most things...
is there a netware server that will run on linux?  Maybe that would be
more usable...

Anyway, the solution is that my users must type in the FQDN of the
server, not just its short name.  This forces the client to do a DNS
lookup instead of a WINS lookup, and it finds the share OK, and the
server is browsable, and users can connect etc.  The thing that has me
baffled is why windoze reports an authentication failure, or the even
more cryptic 'account currently disabled', when it can't resolve a
machine name...

*sigh*

Tom