kernel: TNG

After spending a couple of hours tweaking my initrd image and Google
searching, I discovered that make oldconfig, while presenting me with
enough options to lull me into security, was quietly leaving all of my
IDE options unset.

Here's the new problem:
the root mounts but during the boot I get

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-0000, errno = 8

repeating endlessly until I reboot

The same problem was mentioned here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200109/msg00032.html
but no solution was offered on the list

Here it is again:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200109/msg00107.html
but my ELF, AOUT and MISC BINFMT options are all =y

modprobe is in the correct location on hda1 and in the initrd file

Anyone?

TIA
Bob