keyboard frozen at boot-up

Hello.
I have trouble -- I cannot boot anymore!
After seeing fsck report some irregularities (but fixing it) I come to the
login but the keyboard isn't working anymore! I say anymore because it has
been working untill then. I've figured that it first stopped working at lpr
initialization. Strangely, the machine was willing to boot sometimes -- in
single-user mode, however, because there were "unexpected inconsistencies"
(it's what fsck said). So I removed lpr and ran fsck manually which reported
quite some problems but said to have fixed them all. Another run proved it.
No mistakes found anymore. I rebooted.
Then, oddly, the keyboard stopped working at some other point in runlevel 2.
So I had to reboot it which in turn made fsck show up again. This time, it
found even more mistakes!
So here I am without any clue. And booting Windoze ...
I really hope that there's someone not as clueless as I am.
Thanks,

andrej