Re: pppd + exim question

Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) when I try to use pon from a normal account I get a message saying that I
> have not privileges to run /usr/sbin/pppd. If a modify the attributes of
> /usr/sbin/pppd to let "ohers" to run it I get a message that I have not
> privileges to open /etc/peers/my_ISP_provider. Of couse, as root I have not
> problems. I have added myself to the dialup group but the two problems
> persists. What is the correct way to fix them? is only a matter of modify the
> privileges or there is another way?

On my system both file have these permisions:

-rwsr-xr--    1 root     dip        218524 Sep 29 14:00 /usr/sbin/pppd*

-rw-r----- 1 root dip 579 Feb 9 14:10 /etc/ppp/peers/provider

So if you put yourself in group dip, you should be able to call out just
fine.
$ adduser YOU dip

> 2) Does anyone have a version of exim.conf which works with and ISP over a
> dialup connection? I will very grateful if anyone could email it to me.

I think the simplest way is to run eximconfig as root and choose 2) in
the first menu.
Furthermore you should have a file  /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim  that runs the
que every time your
ppp link goes up.

Hope that helps,

Tim