Re: pppd + exim question

Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

Hi,

1) when I try to use pon from a normal account I get a message saying that I have not privileges to run /usr/sbin/pppd. If a modify the attributes of /usr/sbin/pppd to let "ohers" to run it I get a message that I have not privileges to open /etc/peers/my_ISP_provider. Of couse, as root I have not problems. I have added myself to the dialup group but the two problems persists. What is the correct way to fix them? is only a matter of modify the privileges or there is another way?

On my system both file have these permisions:

-rwsr-xr--    1 root     dip        218524 Sep 29 14:00 /usr/sbin/pppd*

-rw-r-----    1 root     dip           579 Feb  9 14:10 /etc/ppp/peers/provider

So if you put yourself in group dip, you should be able to call out just fine.
$ adduser YOU dip

2) Does anyone have a version of exim.conf which works with and ISP over a dialup connection? I will very grateful if anyone could email it to me.

I think the simplest way is to run eximconfig as root and choose 2) in the first menu. Furthermore you should have a file /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim that runs the que every time your
ppp link goes up.

Hope that helps,

Tim