Re: Browsing workgroup from command line

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:39:09PM -0800, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> There is a printer I want to be able to print to and then able to offer it
> to the LAN through LMHOSTS.

Why use lmhosts? thats troubleware.

> Interesting ports on  (192.168.0.254):
> 21/tcp     open        ftp
> 23/tcp     open        telnet
> 80/tcp     open        http
> 280/tcp    open        http-mgmt
> 515/tcp    open        printer
> 631/tcp    open        cups
> 9100/tcp   open        jetdirect
> What is actually need is the netbios name that this printer appears under.

None, for port 139 is not among.
I'd recommend you
- setup a windows machine (call it "printsrv") which can access the printer
  (eg. via LPR protocol on port 515)
- install the drivers for several OS', so clients can autoinstall
- share it's printer to the other clients. Thus it will be addressed
  by as \\PRINTSRV\LASER1.

But this is not debian specific anyway.

--
Johannes Franken