Re: LILO other=/dev/hda6 (boot logical partition)

Em Ter, 2002-02-12 às 20:34, Jeff escreveu:
> Robin Rowe, 2002-Feb-12 11:00 -0800:
> > Hi. I need to install Win2k on a PC that has only logical partitions
> > available.
> >
> > /dev/hda1 Linux
> > /dev/hda2 Swap
> > /dev/hda3 Win2k
> > /dev/hda4 Extended
> > /dev/hda5 Linux
> > /dev/hda6 Win2k (new)
> >
> > I  can't get LILO to boot the second Win2k partition. It just hangs there
> > with no error message. If I use table=/dev/hda in my lilo.conf 'other' spec
> > then lilo objects "Fatal: Partition entry not found." It seems that LILO
> > doesn't like to boot Win2k from logical partitions, although ntldr,
> > reportedly xosl, and maybe grub will. Is there a fix to make LILO do this?
> >
> > I couldn't find a LILO mailing list to ask this question. Is there one?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Robin
>
> From what I've heard, Windows has to be within the first 1024
> blocks of the HDD to be able to boot.  I don't know why, and I
> assume this goes for all versions of Windows.  What probably is
> happening is LILO is handing off to the hda6 partition to boot
> and W2K is sayin' "nah-uh, can't do it".
>
> If this is indeed the case, you're going to need to move Windows
> closer to the front of the HDD.

As far as I know Windows can only boot from a primary partition. Since
you have more then 4 partitions some must be secondary partition: you
won t be able to boot windows from them.
I am not even sure that you can toggle the bootable flag on a secondary
partition?

Michel.