Re: Installation Problem with Potato

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:06:10AM -0500, Wayne Byarlay wrote:
> I am attempting to install Debian Linux Potato version via CD. [...]
> The cd spins up, but then it says, "Unable to mount the rescue floppy. [...]

> Obviously, the CD can be read, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get
> this far. What could be my problem

Don't be too sure about that. it could be a media error, just in middle of the
kernel.tgz . Can you spot any syslog messages? have a cat on /var/log/messages,
dmesg and switch to the debugging console (on alt-f4 iirc).

It's easy to have the CD tested: switch to a shell console, cp /dev/cdrom
/dev/null and watch for error messages.  (you might have to replace /dev/cdrom
with /dev/hdc etc., respectively)

--
Johannes Franken

Professional unix/network development